During your planning meeting we talk about if you’re eligible for SDA. We’ll also discuss what kind of SDA you might like. This process won’t delay us approving your plan.

We’ll talk about three key things:

  • if you meet the criteria listed in Who’s eligible for SDA?
  • SDA design categories, building types, and locations
  • if you already live in SDA and if you would like to keep living there. 

Preparing for your planning meeting

If you think SDA is right for you, we need some information to help us decide whether to fund it in your plan. We’ll ask you to complete the Home and Living Supports Request Form .

You also need to give us:

  • any assessments of your support and accommodation needs. This includes if you are (or were) on an assessment-based waiting list
  • the outcomes of formal accommodation assessments, for example ACAS (Vic.) or ACAT assessments
  • your daily support needs, including the total cost of your current or likely package of supports with or without SDA. We also think about whether SDA would reduce the cost of other supports.

We may also ask for other assessments if we need help making a decision. We’ll include funding in your plan if needed.

Don’t worry if you don’t know all of this straight away. We’ll help you work it out.

How do you get funding to keep living in SDA?

If you already live in SDA, then you don’t need your eligibility tested again. 

But if you currently live in Basic SDA, we’ll work out a design category, building type, and location in your plan that’s best for you. 

We’ll ask you to confirm if you want to stay in your current home, or if you're thinking about moving. 

If you want to move into another home, we’ll make a decision on what is reasonable and necessary to fund. We look at your needs if you want to move into something more expensive or a place with different features.

Once SDA is in your plan, it won’t be removed unless you request this (or in some very rare circumstances). But the amount of money funded in each plan may change based on your needs. 

Do you have to pay rent to your SDA provider?

Once you move into SDA, you might need to make Reasonable Rent Contributions (sometimes referred to as RRC) towards your accommodation. This is paid to your SDA provider. You should discuss this with your provider. 

The maximum Reasonable Rent Contribution is 25 per cent of the Commonwealth Disability Support Pension, as well as all of any Commonwealth Rent Assistance you receive. 

What if you want to share SDA with family or your partner?

If you’d like to live in SDA with:

  • family members
  • your partner
  • another person who isn’t an NDIS participant

You can do this if it’s your choice, and it doesn’t present a risk to your health or safety. Anyone you share your SDA home with will have to pay rent to the SDA provider. Their rent is not capped at the rate for Reasonable Rent Contributions. 

It’s up to you and the people you want to live with to talk to your SDA provider and agree on how much rent needs to be paid. The rent may be close to rates for a similar home on the standard rental market. 

If you want to share your SDA bedroom with another person, we’ll ask you to confirm with your planner in writing who you’d like to share with. 

We ask for this information only to make sure you’re not being asked to share your bedroom if you don’t want to. We also check that having more than one person in the bedroom won’t lead to a serious risk of harm to you. 

When we look at whether sharing your bedroom presents any serious risks, we consider:

  • your relationship with the person you want to share with
  • if the bedroom is the right size and setup for you to get the supports you need when you're sharing
  • any needs and values you may have because of your religion or culture
  • any hardship caused to you or people you support if you couldn’t share your bedroom.
This page current as of
8 December 2020
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?