Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is a range of housing designed for people with extreme functional impairment or very high needs. SDA homes are constructed to be more accessible for you. They enable better or safer delivery of other supports you may need.

SDA usually involves a shared home with a small number of other people. You might also be able to live in SDA by yourself if that option best meets your needs and circumstances. 

The aim of SDA is to make accessing supports easier. For example, you might need a home with reinforced ceilings so you can get a ceiling hoist installed. 

SDA is offered by SDA providers. Providers have to enrol dwellings that meet the requirements of SDA with the NDIA. 

When we talk about SDA, we mean funding for the cost of the home or building you live in. Usually, you'll still need to pay rent or other personal costs to live in SDA. SDA also doesn’t include the services or support you might get in that home. 

For example, it doesn’t include the cost of a person who helps with personal care. This kind of support comes under personal care supports  or other supports in your home.

Other than SDA, the NDIS does not generally fund permanent accommodation. Learn more about housing options and the NDIS .

This page current as of
8 December 2020
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?