If you have a home and living goal we’ll help you explore your options to pursue this goal. We’ll start by getting you to complete the Home and Living Supports Request Form .

This helps us understand your daily support needs. Then we can discuss the home and living option that best meets those needs.

SIL may be the best support option if you need significant person-to-person support to live independently.

However, there are other options that may be more suitable for you. We’ll discuss those options at your planning meeting. We’ll ask how assistive technology, home modifications or personal care supports could work for you instead of SIL.

Learn more about your options for personal care supports .

These questions help us think about whether we’ll consider SIL for you, and if it does suit you, the amount we'll fund:

How old are you?

SIL support is for people aged 18 and over. We have other supports available for children under 18 years.

If you need more information about supports we fund to help with a child’s disability care needs, have a look at personal care supports .

If you’re 17, and your goal is to move out of home, we may fund support to explore your options. It’s never too early to start thinking about what this might look like for you in the future.

If you are thinking about moving within a year or two, it’s a good time to talk to us about your home and living goals. We can start helping you work out the best option for you.

Talk to your Support Coordinator, Local Area Coordinator or planner if you’d like more information.

Is SIL the most suitable option for you? 

SIL is one of many support options you could get where you live.

There are a few things to talk to your planner about to help you decide if SIL is the best option for you. For example: 

  • your goals for your potential home and living arrangements,
  • the support you need to live as independently as possible 
  • if alternative supports may be a better option (including Individual Living Options or personal care supports )
  • if you have significant support needs that require person-to-person supports
  • what support you currently receive 
  • if your planner decides your support meets the reasonable and necessary criteria for SIL (see ‘Is SIL reasonable and necessary for you’). 

To help us decide if we can fund SIL we’ll look at your Home and Living Supports Request Form . We might ask for other evidence about your support needs, such as a report from an allied health professional. 

Depending on your needs, personal care supports  might be a better option to help you where you live today. 

This page current as of
8 December 2020
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?