What if you need extra privacy protections (restricted access)?

Although we already have controls in place to protect your information, there are some situations where your records with us need more privacy protection than usual. We call this restricted access. It means only a limited number of staff with special permissions can access your information.

You, your representative, your nominee or a child representative can request restricted access at any time you engage with us. This could be pre-access or once you become a participant.

Who needs restricted access?

We can approve restricted access if one of these applies to you:

  • you’re a prominent public figure, for example, a politician, judge, high profile sports person, media personality or actor
  • you’re an immediate family member of a prominent public figure
  • you’re an NDIA employee, NDIA contractor, NDIS National Contact Centre staff member, NDIA Board member, local area coordinator or early childhood partner
  • you’re an immediate family member of an NDIA employee, contractor or other staff member, Board member, local area coordinator or early childhood partner
  • you’re under police protection
  • you’re under an active legal order, for example, your address is protected due to family violence.

When we say immediate family member, we mean a:

  • husband or wife
  • ex-husband or ex-wife
  • de facto partner or former de facto partner
  • child, parent, grandparent, grandchild or sibling
  • child, parent, grandparent, grandchild or sibling of a spouse or de facto partner
  • step-relatives, such as stepparents and stepchildren
  • adopted immediate family member.

In very limited situations, you might still need restricted access even if none of the above applies to you. We’ll look at your situation when we decide whether or not to give you restricted access.

How do you get restricted access?

You can request restricted access at any time using our request for extra privacy protections (restricted access) form (DOCX 67KB). Alternatively, you can contact us and ask for restricted access in person or over the phone.

We’ll write to you with our decision within 14 days of your request.

If we approve your request, you’ll have 2 restricted access officers. They’ll be responsible for most of your contact with us. They’ll also work with you on anything about your plan. There are also restricted access officers in our National Call Centre. They can assist if you call our contact centre. From time-to-time other people may need to access your records. This could be to arrange a payment or manage a complaint.

We’ll make sure they don’t have a conflict of interest working with you. For example, we make sure they don’t know you personally. We’ll write to tell you who your restricted access officers will be.

Having restricted access means that your providers can’t view your details or create service bookings. This means that you will need to create service bookings for your providers through myplace. Then the provider will then be able to manage the booking. You will also need to tell your provider when you have restricted access.

Can we remove restricted access?

We’ll stop your restricted access if you ask us to. You can ask for restricted access to be removed at any time.

We may stop your restricted access if you no longer meet the criteria. For example, you might not be an NDIA employee anymore.

We’ll let you know if we’re going to end your restricted access.

This gives you the opportunity to tell us if there are reasons why your restricted access should continue. We will consider this information when deciding whether to continue your restricted access.

After we remove restricted access, any of our staff can see your record if they need to for their work. We’ll still protect your privacy and information in the normal way.

Can you ask for a review of a restricted access decision?

No. Restricted access is not a reviewable decision. Learn more about what decisions you can review.

If you’re not happy with our decision, you can discuss it with us. You can also make a complaint .

This page current as of
6 June 2023
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?