You have the right to decide what you do each day and to make your own life choices. For all of us, our choices come with some risks. We all make our own choices about how much risk we want to take in our lives. You should also be able to choose how much risk you want to take in your life.
We can’t fund supports that risk harming you or someone else . But we will try and balance this with enabling you to make your own choices wherever possible.
Some of these risks might affect what we can fund in your plan, or who manages your NDIS funding. For example, there might be risks to your personal safety, your personal money, or your NDIS funding.
We think about if there are any risks with your current support arrangements. For example, there might be risks to your family or friends health if they keep supporting you when they get older. If so, we could look at including NDIS funded supports to reduce these risks.
We also consider any risks around your safety and wellbeing. For example, there could be risks if you’re socially isolated, or rely only on providers for support. Or, there could be risks of physical injury to you or the people who support you.
When we create your plan, we’ll help you think about supports that help you live your life the way you want to. We balance your right to take reasonable risks in pursuing your goals, with your safety and the safety of other people.
We’ll talk with you about how we can help you reduce risks where we can. There are a few things we could do to reduce risk, and make sure your plan meets your needs. For example, we could:
- review your plan sooner
- fund supports to help you build your support network, for example helping you make friends or build relationships in your community
- set up regular chats with your planner, Local Area Coordinator or Early Childhood Partner
- make sure any providers using restrictive practices are NDIS registered and follow the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission requirements
- let you know about how you can complain about your service providers or complain about our service if there are any issues
- include funded supports, such as budget training, to help you manage the funding in your plan.