What help can you get to manage incontinence through the health system or other services?

You may be able to get continence supports from the Australian health system or another provider.

If another service is most appropriate to fund continence supports or they are not related to your disability, we can’t fund them.

If you have permanent and severe incontinence, the Continence Aids Payment Scheme may help you pay for some of the continence products you use.

If you are eligible for the Continence Aids Payment Scheme you’ll get a yearly payment to help you meet your continence support needs.

If you have continence supports funded in your NDIS plan, you won’t generally be eligible for funding under the Continence Aids Payment Scheme.

To learn more and apply for this payment, go to the Continence Aids Payment Scheme .

Government and community services must ensure all Australians, including people with disability, have access to their supports.

We call these supports mainstream and community supports. The NDIS was set up to work alongside government and community services, not replace them.

Learn more about Mainstream and community supports.

What support can you get through Medicare?

Medicare helps all Australians with the costs of their health care. This includes funding for services to test for and diagnose incontinence and continence supports while you are in hospital. Medicare may also fund some short term supports you get from allied health professionals.

Learn more about Medicare .

What support can you get through the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme?

You may need some medications to help you deal with your continence needs including suppositories and enemas. The Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme provides funding for most medications, so we generally don’t fund them. If you need any medication, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist.

Learn more about the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme .

What other support can you get if you have a stoma?

If you have a stoma, the Stoma Appliance Scheme (SAS) offers free stoma products and appliances you might need.

The Australian Council of Stoma Associations has information about how to apply to the SAS.

Once you are a member of a stoma association, you can get stoma products and appliances through the SAS. We may fund your membership fees for a stoma association. We will only do this if your stoma is related to your disability.

This page current as of
5 January 2024
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?