There are 4 building types if you’re new to specialist disability accommodation: 

  • Apartments – self-contained units that are part of a larger residential building.
  • Duplexes, villas, townhouses – separate but semi-attached properties within a single land title or strata titled area. This also includes stand-alone villas or granny-flats.
  • Houses – detached low-rise buildings with garden or courtyard areas.
  • Group homes – houses that have 4 or 5 residents.

How do we work out the right building type for you?

We look at your individual needs, and the features of each building type, when we work out the right building type for you. This might be a house, an apartment, or another type of building.

The best building type will depend on what other home and living supports you need. We also think about how many people you’d like to live with, what type of building you’d like to live in, and if it meets all the NDIS funding criteria.

Specialist disability accommodation may be accommodation that you share with others or you might live there alone. For example, you may need to live alone to keep yourself and others safe. We need to make sure the support meets all the NDIS funding criteria.

We’ll also look at how the building type would: 

  • help you get your other supports
  • suit the type of home you want to live in, if it aligns with your goals
  • help you become involved in your community
  • help you to maintain or create relationships
  • reduce any risks to you and others
  • help your informal support network support you
  • be more likely than another building type to improve outcomes for you.

Once the funding is in your plan, you can choose how to use it. Learn more about how you can use your specialist disability accommodation budget.

This page current as of
1 August 2022
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?