If you think you need complex home modifications, you should talk to your support coordinator, planner, or partner in the community.

Learn more about changing your plan.

We may include some funding in your Capacity Building budget to explore what complex home modifications you need and to get an assessment.

Then we’ll review your evidence for your complex home modifications including your assessment, 2 quotes and other approval documents and reports. This will help us work out if your request meets the NDIS funding criteria.

We will also work out if you need funding for other providers to help plan and implement your complex home modifications.

Do you need an assessment for complex home modifications?

For all complex home modifications, you need to give us an assessment from a home modification assessor. This is an occupational therapist who is qualified to recommend more detailed home modification supports. Your home modification assessor needs to be independent from any builders asked to quote on the works.

Your home modification assessor will also help identify if you’ll need hire facilities, like a portable bathroom, while your modifications get done. If you can’t stay in your home, you might need temporary accommodation. You should talk to your home modification assessor about what your preferences are.

We will include some initial funding in your Capacity Building budget for 15 to 20 hours for your assessment.

We have an Assessment template – Complex home modifications on our website.

Learn more about home modification assessors and how to find them on the Occupational Therapy Australia website .

Do you need to give us quotes for complex home modifications?

We need 2 itemised quotes for complex home modifications. These help us make sure the home modification costs are competitive and value for money. Itemised quotes need to include the costs of each part of the modification, listed separately for each section of work.

We’ll also accept a cost estimation done by a qualified building cost estimator or quantity surveyor.

Learn more about providing home modification quotes .

Builders need to have the necessary qualifications and insurance for the work they’re quoting on. They must be licensed by your state or territory building authority . You are responsible for checking these details.

Where possible you should find builders who will provide quotes free of charge. Otherwise you can use flexible funding in your plan, or pay at your own cost.

We understand it’s sometimes difficult to get more than one quote, for example if there aren’t enough builders in your area. Let us know if you’re having difficulty getting quotes. We might be able to give you more advice.

If your home modification funding is Agency-managed your quotes need to be from builders who are registered NDIS providers. If your budget is self-managed or you use a registered plan manager , we can accept quotes from builders who are not NDIS-registered.

Do you need other providers to plan your complex home modifications?

You’ll need a building construction practitioner to make sure your recommended complex home modification supports are possible in your home. They’ll also work out how the modifications can be done in the most effective way, and if you need any other building specialists. You can ask your building construction practitioner to help you check your builder’s credentials and get quotes.

Your building construction practitioner should be independent from any builders who provide quotes for your job. This practitioner will work with you and your home modification assessor.

You might also need an independent building works project manager if your approved complex home modification is high risk.

A building works project manager will help you communicate with your builder and help you understand your building contract. They will check the work meets all legal requirements, and make sure the modification is completed as agreed in the building contract. They can also help you resolve issues that might happen during the building process.

Your building works project manager should tell us if you also need an independent building certifier, and how much this will cost. If you need this funding and it meets NDIS funding criteria, we’ll include it in your Capital – Home Modifications budget.

Learn more about home modification providers and their roles.


Reuben has multiple sclerosis and now needs to use a wheelchair most of the time. He lives with his brother Sam, who owns the home. Reuben has a goal to live independently at home.

Reuben completes the Supporting evidence form - Home and living and brings it to his next check in conversation. Based on this evidence, we agree the house Reuben lives in needs complex modifications for him to live there safely and stay independent. These include a ramp, wider doorways, and structural changes to the bathroom and kitchen.

We include funding for a home modification assessor to do an assessment. We also fund a building construction practitioner to work out how the modifications can be done effectively in Reuben's home, and help Reuben get 2 quotes from licenced builders.

Reuben gives us the assessment report and the 2 quotes. He also gives us written approval from his brother Sam, as the homeowner, for the modifications to be done.

We agree Reuben's recommended home modifications meet the NDIS funding criteria. We include funding for the modifications and the building works project manager to help oversee the works.

This page current as of
14 June 2023
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?