An individualised living option might be right for you if:
- you’re 18 or over
- you need help, whether formal or informal, at home for at least 6 hours each day
- you’re ready to explore your home and living needs, what you’d like, and are ready to look into potential options
- you’re willing to invest time and effort towards creating your future home
- your family or friends might be part of your individualised living option supports.
Often, people who know you well can be an important part of helping to explore options and to make decisions. You can involve them in helping to design and manage your individualised living option, if you want to.
An individualised living option might not be right for you if you:
- are under 18 (see below)
- need less than 6 hours of help at home each day, whether formal or informal, and you don’t need help with problem solving at other times
- need 24-hour rostered support from one or more support workers
- need registered nursing care as part of your daily supports
- need frequent support overnight.
Remember, individualised living option supports will need to meet the reasonable and necessary criteria. We think about all the things above when we work out what supports will meet the criteria.
If an individualised living option isn’t right for you, there are other home and living supports that might help. Find out more about home and living supports.
We also have other supports available for children under 18 years. Learn more about personal care supports .
If you’re 17 or over, and your goal is to move out of home, we may provide supports in your plan to explore an individualised living option. Talk to your support coordinator, local area coordinator or planner if you’d like more information.
If you’re 17 or over and already living in an individualised living option arrangement that continues to meet your needs, we can consider continuing supports in your plan for it. Your supports will need to meet the reasonable and necessary criteria.
It’s never too early to start thinking about what home and living supports might work for you in the future. If you’re thinking about moving within a year or two, it’s a good time to talk to us about your home and living goals. We can then help work out the best option for you.