If you have lymphoedema, your trained lymphoedema allied health professional will help to manage and treat your lymphoedema in two phases.

Phase one is when your allied health professional will treat your lymphoedema in a clinical setting, like a hospital.

Phase two is when your allied health professional will create a home maintenance program for you.

These two phases are most appropriately funded by the health system, so we won’t fund them.

Learn more about What help can you get through Medicare?

If your disability means you have trouble managing your home maintenance program on your own, we may fund support to help you.

This may include support with daily skin care and to prevent infection, repositioning, exercises and wearing prescribed compression garments. Or it could be the use of a pneumatic compression pump device.

You might need to wear pneumatic compression devices or have manual lymphatic massages to help your lymph fluid move and improve circulation.

If you need compression garments to manage your lymphoedema, you may be eligible to get support through your state compression garment scheme.

If you need compression garments because of your disability and they aren’t funded by another service, we may be able to fund them.

Learn more about Compression garment schemes .

What if you need assistive technology?

Assistive technology for wound and pressure care is equipment which will help reduce the pressure on your body and improve circulation.

It may include items you buy or rent like:

  • pressure cushions and mattresses
  • air-filled garments and compression units for managing circulation problems and lymphoedema
  • a lymphoedema machine if needed for maintenance
  • negative pressure wound therapy including vacuum assisted closure (VAC)
  • repairs, maintenance, and replacement of assistive technology.

We’ll only fund assistive technology if you can give us evidence that:

  • having the assistive technology means it will reduce your need for other supports, for example, less need for a support worker or nurse 
  • you’ll be able to be more independent 
  • other mainstream health services don’t fund the assistive technology and you need the support because of your disability. 

You’ll need to give us evidence to show the assistive technology meets all the NDIS funding criteria.

This could be from your doctor, specialist, registered nurse or clinical nurse consultant.

Learn more about assistive technology and the evidence we need before we create your plan.

Learn more about Assistive Technology.

This page current as of
18 October 2023
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?