Before we can include minor home modification supports in your plan, we need evidence that shows they meet the NDIS funding criteria. We also need the relevant approvals for your home modifications.

Learn more about minor home modifications.

Do you need an assessment for minor home modifications?

For all minor home modifications you need an assessment. We have an Assessment template – Minor home modifications on our website. The type of provider who does this assessment depends on the category of your minor home modification.

For category A minor home modifications - any occupational therapist can do your assessment, including your usual occupational therapist. The assessment process is streamlined because these home modifications are usually straightforward, low risk changes to your home.

For category B minor home modifications - we need a home modification assessor to do your assessment. This is an occupational therapist who is qualified to recommend more detailed home modification supports. The assessment process may be more detailed depending on the type of home modification supports you need.

Your occupational therapist or home modification assessor should be independent from your builder.

We will provide some initial funding for 2 to 10 hours in your Capacity Building budget for your assessment.

Learn more about occupational therapists and home modification assessors, and how to find them, on the Occupational Therapy Australia website.

Do you need a quote for minor home modifications?

You usually don’t need to give us a quote for your minor home modifications, but you should keep any quotes for your records. We might ask to see them, and they are important for warranties and audits.

You do need to give us a quote if you live in a remote or very remote area (MMM6 or MMM7 using the Modified Monash Model ).

We use a set NDIS budget based on current market costs where you live to calculate a suitable budget for your modifications. We use building industry data to regularly update these costs. We expect most minor home modifications can be completed within the allocated budget.

If you have evidence your approved minor home modifications will cost more than we have funded, you can ask us to review the budget. In this situation, you’ll need to give us 2 independent quotes from suitable providers. The quotes must be itemised to only include the approved home modifications. If we agree with the evidence, we may vary your plan.

Where possible you should find a tradesperson who will provide quotes free of charge. Otherwise you can use flexible funding in your plan, or pay at your own cost.

Learn more about providing home modification quotes .


Rebecca is having difficulty showering because of her disability. She finds it hard to step into her shower safely and turn on the taps. Rebecca's occupational therapist does an assessment using funding from her Capacity Building budget. Her occupational therapist recommends a rail to help Rebecca step down into the shower, and long handled lever taps. These modifications are expected to cost under $10,000.

Because Rebecca rents her house, she gets written permission from her landlord to make the modifications.

Rebecca gives her planner a copy of her assessment and the landlord's permission. She does not need to give the planner any quotes because the modifications are minor, and she does not live in a remote area.

Rebecca's planner agrees the modifications meet the NDIS funding criteria. The planner uses the set NDIS budget to work out the amount of funding to include in the Capital – Home Modifications budget of Rebecca's plan.

This page current as of
13 October 2022
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?