What help can you get to manage your wound and pressure care through the health system or other services?

Government and community services must ensure all Australians, including people with disability, have access to their supports.

We call these supports mainstream and community supports. The NDIS was set up to work alongside government and community services, not replace them.

Learn more about Mainstream and community supports.

The health system is responsible for treatment of wounds, including wound management supports that are not related to your disability.  

For example, if you have surgery and need assistance to manage your acute wound, we won’t fund this. We only fund wound and pressure care supports directly related to your disability.

The NDIS can’t fund a support if it’s most appropriately funded or provided by one of these other services

There may be other specialist health services or private health insurance available to help manage your health or treat a health condition. You will need to pay for these things yourself.

If your wound does not heal after treatment, you may need regular support for wound management.

If your disability means you can’t manage your wound or pressure care on your own, we may fund wound and pressure care supports.

What help can you get through Medicare?

If your wound or pressure injury needs treatment by a doctor or surgeon, Medicare funds this.

The Australian health system provides some supports for people with wound and pressure care needs, particularly acute needs such as new or infected wounds.

Learn more about Medicare .

What can you get through the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme?

If you have a wound or pressure injury and need medication or dressings, you should see your doctor who’ll prescribe what you need. Most medications and some dressings are funded through the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme (PBS).

Learn more about the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme (PBS) .

What can you get through the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme?

If you have epidermolysis bullosa you will need specialised dressings and bandages to manage the disease, reduce skin damage and the risk of infection.

You may be eligible to get most wound care items, like dressings and bandages through the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme.

You can continue to access the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme, even when you are a NDIS participant.

Because you can get most specialised dressings and bandages for epidermolysis bullosa through another service system, we generally will not fund it.

To learn more or apply, go to the National Epidermolysis Bullosa Dressing Scheme .

This page current as of
20 June 2022
Indicates required field
Was this page useful?
Why not?