This depends on your needs and your goals. Like all supports funded through the NDIS, they must meet our reasonable and necessary criteria .
For example, we can fund things like:
- supports to help you go to work
- supports to help you see friends or family
- supports to help you take part in community activities
- therapy and other supports that help with things like work, study or social activities. This may include allied health supports – for example, speech pathology supports to improve communication
- personalised assistive technology or equipment to help you do things or be more independent
- supports to help you explore options to move to other accommodation if you want to
- capacity building and transition supports to help you get ready to move out of your RACF, if that’s what you’ve chosen to do.
We will also fund a Support Coordinator to help you find and organise your providers. They may also help you to explore other housing options if you have a goal to move out of the RACF.
Sarah lives in a RACF. She needs to be transferred out of her bed into her wheelchair. Her RACF provides her bed, and the hoist used to get in and out of bed. This is because a hoist is general assistive technology for anyone living in a RACF.
We might fund a wheelchair for Sarah if she needs it customised for her use. For example, she might need a wheelchair customised so she can move around the rest of the community independently. The wheelchair and its customisation must meet the reasonable and necessary criteria.
There are a few criteria we use to determine if a support is reasonable and necessary. For Sarah, the wheelchair would help her pursue her goal of being more mobile. To understand its “value for money,” Sarah’s planner may compare the cost of different wheelchairs or equipment options. They may also think about the long term benefits Sarah would get out of the wheelchair – like becoming more independent.
It’s important to remember that customisation to equipment that aren’t related to Sarah’s disability wouldn’t be funded.